Monday 18 April 2016

Why I took captaincy off Jonjo Shelvey -- Rafa Benitez

 The decision to make Sissoko captain surprised fans given his poor form this season, and the France
international could keep the armband, having “pleased” Benitez with his performance.
Asked if the 26-year-old would continue to lead his team, Benitez said: “We will see. I was really pleased for him.
“I wanted to give him some confidence. (He is) someone (that) has a lot of influence with French players, because they see him as a big name and a big player, so he’s been important for them and for us.
“I’m not too worried about that. We will consider it (longer-term captaincy), because he’s done very well.”
Asked about substitute Shelvey’s reaction to being left out, Benitez said: “I think he understood.

No comments:

Post a Comment