Tuesday 15 December 2015

TENNIS: No plans to retire in 2016 -- Federer

Despite maintaining his position as world No.3, Federer has not tasted Grand Slam glory since his last
victory at Wimbledon in 2012, but the Swiss veteran claims he will be raring to go at next month's Australian Open.
"I've planned all of 2016, all the way through the Rio Olympics and beyond," Federer said. "I'm going to probably announce that schedule in the coming weeks. I'm looking forward to next year.
"Australia's obviously a big goal for me and after that it's going to be a long, tough year. I'm feeling fine physically and in good shape. Like I say so many times, I hope I'm still on tour for a while. There are no plans to retire yet, I don't have a definite date, even though that would make things easier to plan."
Federer will be looking to improve on the singles silver he won at London 2012 when the Olympics get underway next summer, while he has also confirmed he will partner with former world No.1 Martina Hingis in the mixed doubles.
He also hinted he could once again team up with Stan Wawrinka in the doubles, with the duo hoping to replicate the success that saw them take gold at Beijing 2008.
"Winning the silver at Wimbledon was amazing during the London Olympics," Federer said. "I don't feel like the Rio Olympics necessarily needs to be the singles gold like everybody talks about.
"That's why I'm going to be playing mixed doubles with Martina Hingis, and I might also play the doubles with Stan Wawrinka. I might enter myself in all three competitions to have the most possible chances to win medals for Switzerland.
"The Olympics for me is unique. It's about representing Switzerland and making Switzerland proud. I feel the same way on the tour, but the Swiss people can relate more to the Olympics maybe. I carried the flag twice for Switzerland (at Athens 2004 and Beijing 2008) and I got a gold in doubles with Stan so I feel like I accomplished that dream already."
Federer, who recently announced he would be parting ways with coach Stefan Edberg after two years of working together, also revealed he still feels the occasional nerves on court, even if playing in smaller matches has become easier with age.
"In normal matches, maybe a quarterfinal match or first-round match, I don't get so worked up so much any more, where I have knots in my tummy," he added. "But I do still get nervous, I still care very dearly and still have the fire. I think that will never go away until the day is there where I retire and everything drops away."

No comments:

Post a Comment